Thursday, November 15, 2007

Eeek! It's the Annual Attack of the Christmas Legalists!

Happy Holidays! Oops--I can't say that without offending an army of more-righteous-than-me saints who demand that everyone says "Merry Christmas". This seasonal indignation has been a tradition since the days when we used to hear "Satan Claus" hissed because old Nick was "replacing" the Christ of Christmas. The new bugaboo is replacing the word "Christmas" with "Holiday".

The American Family Association sent me an email about what store to boycott because they said "family tree" instead of Christmas tree (that was a stupid marketing decision, Lowes), as well as a very very important very urgent bulletin informing the public that Petsmart didn't mention "Christmas" in their flyers. And AFA also warned me about a wicked, wicked hotel chain that removed Gideon Bibles from their rooms. Look, I believe in boycotts (when a company blatantly promotes evil--see my Illustration and Application post), but I don't believe in forcing the world to act like devout Christians when they're not. Do you get angry at taxicabs that don't have Bibles? Does the world see us as uptight prunefaces with Taliban tendencies?

Thanks, Coral Ridge Ministries, but don't send me a "Merry Christmas lapel pin" designed to push back the wicked powers of the Happy-Holidays devils.

Instead of being hostile, we ought to be thankful that millions of sinners everywhere celebrate Jesus' birth! Imagine hearing Gospel-packed songs like Joy To The World on secular radio at any other time.

I always prefer to say "Merry Christmas", but if a Buddhist or a Muslim or an atheist wishes me "Happy Holidays", I say, "Thank you, you too!"

No comments: