Tuesday, July 8, 2008

"Cussing"--Why Is It Wrong?

Profanity is often referred to as "mature" language. Yet we've all heard children use these words. Are these kids more mature than their peers? Hardly. It is immature language because:

--cussers don't care if they bother others (in this, they are on a level with those who pass gas, loudly chew gum, or burp in public),

--cussers usually don't even use profane words according to their definitions, and

--cussers often trivialize and disrespect the names and titles of the awesome and wonderful Lord of Lords.

I don't misuse the names of your loved ones; please don't do so to the one I love more than anyone else.

Everything in this article thus far is also in my other blog, http://jgapinoy.blogspot.com, which is aimed at the general public. The reason I bring it up in this blog--aimed at the Church--is because of the phenomenon of "Christian cussing". Do you use slang words that were invented for the sole purpose of sounding like the cuss words you condemn? I used to, but God convicted me about it, and I made an effort to stop. At first it was an effort--I actually had to think of ways to express myself properly. Now it is no effort at all. Please consider what I'm saying, and give it a try.

No comments: