Monday, August 13, 2007

Praise

My wife is a talented artist. Imagine she completed a painting and showed it to me. What if I were to shout, "I praise you! I love you, Gina! I thank you, Gina!," and then repeat a time or two? She would look at me funny. But if I would say, "Wow! The colors are magnificent, the details so beautiful--it looks like a photo, only better!," then she would be quite pleased.
The Lord Jesus and the Apostle Paul taught that we ought to love and worship God with our minds as well as our hearts (Matt. 22:37, 1 Cor. 14:1-31). The Psalms are full of thoughtful exclamations of God's attributes.
Some of our dear Pentecostal brethren (I consider myself Pentecostal) have been known to chant a few phrases repeatedly, day after day, year after year, in worship. Unfortunately, one of their oft-used expressions of praise is "hallelujah," which of course means "praise the Lord." So we're telling the Lord to praise Himself? You won't find that word in the Bible addressed to God.
There's a tune by Jeremy Camp--who seems to be a wonderful Christian--that's played on the radio and sung in many worship services, and the song only has five phrases in it. Not even five complete sentences--five phrases--for about four minutes. Where is the thoughtfulness in that?
I've noticed that during my church's worship, pretty much the only time people raise their hands is during the chorus of each song. Maybe that's because they have the chorus so well memorized that they don't have to think about it, and they're then free to worship?
Is God more glorified by, "I praise you, I praise you, I love you, I thank you, hallelujah," or, "Oh, what a wonderful God we have! How great are His wisdom and knowledge and riches! How impossible it is for us to understand His decisions and His methods!" (Rom. 11:33)?

No comments: