Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Who Is Responsible For Missionaries?

In case you haven't heard (the myopic U.S. media are more interested in the latest pop tart scandal), there are dozens of South Korean missionaries being held hostage by Islamofascists. While much of the rest of the world is moved with sympathy for the captives, in S.K. there is a significant minority that is angry with them. "You put yourselves in harm's way, and now we have to bail you out!" I hope you don't faint when I say that they make a good point. Anyone who wants to follow the Lord's leading into a dangerous place ought to register a statement with the government releasing civil authorities from responsibilty. In effect, "God called me to do this, and He is able to rescue me from any trouble I might get into. My life is in His hands--I am as safe as He wants me to be. Please do not pay any ransom or make any attempt to rescue me."

1 comment:

jgapinoy said...

I have since adjusted my position. If a way to rescue abducted missionaries militarily is available, it ought to be pursued. That way, the evildoers could either be killed or brought to justice. But no ransom ought to be paid for any kidnapping, ever.